Director, Department of Corrections
Prince George’s County
Prince George’s County is seeking a Director to lead the Department of Corrections. The mission of the Department is to provide safe and appropriate confinement, supervision, rehabilitation and reintegration of male/female adult felons and juveniles, and to effectively manage or administer correctional facilities based on constitutional and statutory standards.
The Department works with communities to improve public safety by providing effective interventions through a safe, secure, and positive environment empowering, individuals to achieve life-long success. The Director is responsible for protecting the interests of the constituents and County when contracting with outside vendors and representatives through effective management, monitoring, and on-going communication.
The Director has responsibility for the overall direction of the department. In conjunction with the County Executive, the Director will develop comprehensive long and short-range strategies designed to achieve departmental goals and objectives, legal mandates and established priorities. Other responsibilities include:
- Employing appropriate legal and professional management and decision-making practices in all matters involving recruitment, selection, promotion, staff development, fiscal management, accreditation, program development, discipline and discharge, and the enforcement and development of agency policy and procedure;
- Maintaining liaison with federal, state, and metropolitan area governmental agencies whose policy, laws, regulations, and directives impact departmental and County activities, operations, projects, and programs;
- Analyzing technical performance reports, correspondence, and contracts, and reviewing evaluating and making recommendations regarding areas of responsibility;
- Developing a comprehensive budget based upon approved programs, resource parameters, technological enhancements, and County policies and procedures; and,
- Promoting a comprehensive community relations and cultural awareness plan.
The ideal candidate will possess extensive knowledge of the criminal justice system and principles and practices of administrative management. Extensive knowledge and experience with labor management, contract negotiations, grievances and the proven ability to supervise the work of a diverse staff is required. The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with County officials, the media, associates, and others is necessary.
The successful candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree or higher. A concentration in criminal justice is preferred or equivalent experience in criminal justice or five (5) years of management experience in the criminal justice system. Work experience in security, pre-trial, re-entry and education programs is preferred.
The selected candidate’s base pay will be based on qualifications and experience. The salary band for this position is $114,129 – $222,047.
For immediate consideration, please forward a cover letter outlining your relevant experience, and resume to: PGCO_Corrections@polihire.com. To assist with internal sorting, please only include your name (Last, First) in the subject line.
To apply for this job email your details to PGCO_Corrections@polihire.com