Chief of Police
Prince George's County, MD
Chief of Police
$114,129 – $222,047
Prince George’s County, Maryland, is seeking an innovative, proven, approachable, and visionary leader for its next Chief of Police. The Prince George’s County Police Department is the fourth largest law enforcement agency in the State of Maryland. More than 1,500 police officers and 300 civilians provide a full range of law enforcement services to nearly 900,000 county residents, visitors, and businesses. The Department is comprised of the Office of the Chief and four bureaus: 1) Patrol, 2) Investigation, 3) Administration and Homeland Security, and 4) Forensic Sciences. The Chief of Police is an executive-level position that serves at the pleasure of the County Executive. In conjunction with the County Executive, the Chief will be responsible for:
- Developing comprehensive long- and short-range strategies designed to achieve departmental goals and objectives, legal mandates, and established priorities as necessary to accomplish them,
- Through respective deputy chiefs and district commanders, exercising technical management oversight for all operations, activities, and programs within the assigned department,
- Formulating and enforcing policies and procedures governing the administration of various county-administered programs,
- Maintaining liaison with federal, state, and metropolitan area governmental agencies whose policy, laws, regulations, and directives impact departmental and county activities, operations, projects, and programs, and
- Developing comprehensive budget(s) based on approved programs, resource parameters, technology enhancements, and county policies and procedures. Exercising internal fiscal control and reviews capital asset proposals and contracts.
The Chief of Police requires a unique and diverse set of skills and extensive knowledge of the criminal justice system. The next Chief will be a change agent and consensus builder who has demonstrated the ability to foster compromise between the police department and residents. The ideal candidate will possess an advanced degree, plus significant senior command level experience in a full-service municipal, urban, law enforcement agency with demonstrated achievements in community policing and law enforcement.
- Extensive knowledge of governmental fiscal policies and procedures and legal mandates including the budget process,
- Extensive knowledge of modern research and investigative techniques and procedures,
- Track record of utilizing 21st Century Policing as the preferred method of addressing community public safety needs,
- Extensive knowledge of laws, statutes, and ordinances of the State of Maryland and Prince George’s County,
- A high level of community visibility and engagement while respecting the community leadership roles of the County Executive and Chief Administrative Officer,
- Proven commitment to diversity, inclusion and equity,
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership techniques, production methods, and coordination of people and resources,
- Creative visionary who uses consensus-building skills to resolve complex issues,
- Ability to review, evaluate, and initiate appropriate action on technical and legal reports, contracts, and documents concerning departmental matters and to make subsequent recommendations,
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with county officials, associates, subordinates, representatives from other agencies, and the general public,
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate with the press,
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate with citizens,
- Must have a positive community presence,
- Must have strong communication and collaborative skills,
- Required to collaborate with the Court System/Judges, Corrections, and Sheriff,
- Ability to represent the county at the federal, state, and local levels when testifying and/or presenting legislation,
- Strong organizational management and human resources management skills, and
- Ability to manage and ensure Police Officers receive training and development.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit a cover letter detailing your experience and resume to PGCO_Police_Chief@polihire.com. To assist with internal sorting, please only include your name (Last, First) in the subject line. Please submit your resume in Microsoft Word format. The position closes on October 30, 2020.
To apply for this job email your details to PGCO_Police_Chief@polihire.com